Thursday, March 14, 2013

Queering the Lodge Digicamo



This week I finally made use of the digital inkjet printers in OCAD's Fibres department to print patterns I developed a few weeks ago as continuous patterned silkscreen prints. The inkjet printing is an attempt to speed up production of test patters, so see what works and eventually amp up production to make whole lines of clothing and environments.



I created these continuous patterns from silkscreen prints on paper, that I in turn created from drawing digital deer and foliage on graph paper, scanning them in, and creating 4-layer disruptive camo patterns. I silkscreen printed them on paper in a variety of colour combinations to see what I (and others) liked best.



I then scanned in the silkscreen prints and tiled them together in Photoshop. OCAD offers a variety of fabrics to print onto, including bamboo twill and silk(!) I chose a cotton jersey, similar to the weight of the second snuggie I made for Erin Oh (not pictured).
Printing on fabric with the inkjet printer takes about a minute per inch, then you let it sit overnight, then you peel off the paper backing that allows it to feed through the printer, roll it up and steam it, wait another day, then you wash it and fix the pigment, finally drying and ironing the fabric. I'm really happy with how these patterns came out, they are far more successful at being a regular continuous pattern than anything I have made yet!

No comments: